Travel Local. Travel Slow. Experience More…
Leave behind the all-inclusive resorts, ditch the over-crowded tours and discover new places and captivating things to do. Experience places off the beaten path, mingle with locals and discover off the radar gems, countercultures, alternatives places and the most authentic aspects of a destination. Join us as we wander around and even get lost, tasting traditional food, exploring suburban areas, discovering alternative art scenes and quenching our thirst for adventure.
Under the Yew Tree takes the traditional travel website and turns it on its head with humor and a personal touch. Yvonne continuously navigates different situations whilst trying to understand different food and cultures across the globe. The site also has an informative side with the Under the Yew Tree providing information on local destinations, including tips on how to get there, where to stay and what to do/see.
There are numerous ways we can continue the conversation beyond this website. Feel free to like, follow, share and drop me a line – I love feedback and answering your questions.
My name is YVONNE IVANESCU (that’s me on the left) and I am a dynamic, creative leader with a passion for international development, multiculturalism and community building. When I was living in Bocas del Toro, I was nicknamed el tiburon (the shark) because if I don’t keep moving, then I’m dead! I am the founder and CEO of Under the Yew Tree, a resource and community for individuals that want to travel local
My interest in International Development drove me to apply for an MA in International Development and Women’s Studies. During my three year MA experience, I continued to write and was featured in numerous online and print publications in Canada and abroad. In 2012, I took a three month break and got my Divemaster certification in Bocas del Toro beforing heading to Santiago de Chile to conduct interviews for my thesis. While in Chile I had the opportunity to travel to Buenos Aires and experience the beauty of Rio de Janeiro. My experience in Latin America inspired me to launch Under the Yew Tree. As Editor-in-Chief I am always eager to uncover the treasures of Central and South America beyond the “main sites” and share it with all my followers.
- PACKING LIST REQUESTS: Please allow up to 4 weeks for general packing list requests in order for me to research the best possible information on the destination. I do my best to accommodate most requests but if you need something very particular or last minute you may want to consider my personal travel styling offerings.
- PERSONAL TRAVEL CONSULTING: If you have a very unique itinerary planned for an upcoming trip and would like me to help you customize a special list just for you, please email me and find out about my rates for personal travel consulting. Also I provide one-on-one travel safety consultations for anyone looking for information on how to stay safe when traveling to any country in Latin America. Please contact me for more information.
- MEDIA APPEARANCES / INTERVIEWS: I am available for interviews, speaking engagements, and guest blogger opportunities. Please email me with more details and I’d love to discuss how we can collaborate.
- ADVERTISING: If you’re interested in advertising your product or service, please refer to the advertising page.
- CONTACT: Please feel free to contact me with your own experiences, questions, and comments. Would love to hear from you! Please visit my CONTACT PAGE for email addresses. I try to answer all emails within the same week, but if you don’t get a reply the first time, I’m not ignoring you. I just have really bad time management skills so please send me a reminder.